(Re)Thinking Design. The changing role of designers
19:00 – 20:30
Today, design goes far beyond pretty packaging. Many designers today work outside the creative industry, and interdisciplinary design departments in corporations and consultancies have long since ceased to be a rarity. As a result, they play an important role in the design and innovation process. New fields of work bring with them additional challenges and demands that designers have to meet in their day-to-day work. Often, sharpening one’s own profile is a balancing act between specialization and generalization, between creative freedom and concrete problem solving, between abstract and analytical skills.
But what exactly are the tasks of a designer? How does teaching prepare future designers for these tasks? And how does the changing role affect corporate recruiting? What do companies need to consider when recruiting and advertising design jobs?
- Elena de Kan, Design Consultant at Steelcase
- Timo Fischer, Senior Consultant at Cap Gemini Invent
- Martin Groschwald, founder and managing director of Konzepthaus Consulting
- Prof. Ben Santo, Dean of the Faculty of Design at Munich University of Applied Sciences
- Michael Wiethaus, graphic designer, illustrator and lecturer at the IFOG Academy Munich
The panel discussion will be moderated by Eva Lichner, founder and managing director of MATES Munich, network for the creative industry.
The event will take place as part of MCBW 2021 as a digital format and will be broadcast live from the Hochschule für Fernsehen und Film HFF.
The event is sponsored by bayern design and the Bavarian Ministry of Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy.