DESIGN-PILOT: the web app for designers
23. March 2018
Everyone is talking about design thinking, which promises sweeping solutions for products or services. The methods evokes associations with creative minds and can brighten up any dreary meeting room with colorful notes, making it feel like a creative and active space. Yet, design thinking often provides only part of the solution. Wolfgang Schabbach, Professor of Industrial Design and Innovation Researcher at Coburg University of Applied Sciences, has developed the web app DESIGN-PILOT following many years of cooperation with companies. He believes that design thinking only covers about 20 percent of the process that takes an idea from conception to the finished product – DESIGN-PILOT can provide support for the remaining 80 percent. The tool helps designers, managers and engineers in their cross-disciplinary development of products and services, even covering the processes that follow the initial brainstorming session.
DESIGN-PILOT is a web-based application developed by Coburg University of Applied Sciences. The tool enables an integrated approach to design work. Across eight phases, development tools, design basics, and creative techniques are on offer and can be used in the product development process. There are reviews following each phase, which serve as a checklist for self-evaluation.
The DESIGN-PILOT research project was sponsored by the Bavarian State Ministry of Economic Affairs and Media, Energy and Technology, and by bayern design.